Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What!?

Good Afternoon!

The title of this post pretty much says it all for me today. I've watched one of my novels climb into the Top 100 Kindle Genre Novels nearly every day this past week and I wonder why I've not received as much attention from critics, producers and even Big Publishing, if it sells so well.

Let's put the rankings into perspective. Out of the hundreds of thousands of books that Amazon sells in its Kindle Store, they are all broken up into genres; sub-groups. While my novels may work themselves into the Top 100, or even Top 10 in their genres, they may only rank several hundred out of the Top 100 overall. Or, even several thousand out of the rankings overall. There. That explains it. While my novels receive attention from readers, those people have the time and inclination to browse the Kindle Store looking for something worth their while to read. The critics, producers and publishers aren't looking for something worthwhile to read. They are looking for something worthwhile to review, convert into a movie or TV show, or to publish. They're looking for something that will make them some money. Something that they believe has a ready-made audience who will pay a few bucks to read or watch. With my limited efforts at promoting myself and my work, they just aren't ever going to see my stuff.

But, I am still writing and still feeding my addiction to producing stories that people might like to read and find entertaining. If I ever get the breaks needed to reach a wider audience, then that will be great. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Thank you,
Derek A. Murphy
Author of Gulf of the Plains, Congruencies, A Taste For Blood and others.
Available on Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment