Total Pageviews

Monday, November 1, 2010

Genre Writing

Good morning, Self!

How does anyone know what genre to classify their writing as? Each of my novels started out as something else and through a twist or two in the plot, became something different. For instance, Taken Apart began as an exploration of a human being's mind during a demonic possession, but in order to let the two entities interact, I had to turn it into a dark romance of sorts. When I felt constrained by having two minds in one body, I had to engineer a way to separate them; then it turned into an action/adventure with horrific overtones.

Perhaps a more experienced writer or a college professor would say that I lacked discipline. I really don't know, but I like to let a story flow; like water finds and settles at the lowest point of a container. I think that by finding the lowest common denominator, my work may reach a wider audience. Of course, I also have to consider that this stems from a lack of talent. I hope not. I'm not sure that I believe that; my sales have increased every month since I first began writing and publishing on Amazon's DTP.

Congruencies began as a nostalgia piece with a heartbreakingly sad premise. Once I got started on it and had shown the quiet joy of the couple's reunion, I then had to show the difficulties they encountered in deciding what to change about their lives. But they needed complications in their new lives and I had to present them with dangers and challenges. Thus, the story left the realm of the 'soft' sci-fi field and became an action/adventure/thriller with soft romance underlying the action.

I could go on and on, dissecting the motivations behind each of my stories, but I think I've made my point; my work begins as one thing and becomes another. I would be interested to know if any other writers have encountered this in their work. If anyone cares to, please leave a comment.

Thank you,
Derek A. Murphy
Author of Gulf of the Plains, Behind the Stone and others.
Available on Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment